Youtube comments really make me wonder about the demographics of Youtube.
It seems to be all the same for any chanel, so it's not just the audience of a specific chanel that is bad, but all of Youtube.
Just as an example, here is a video I was just watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDsqVNjwFWQ
It's by a youtuber called "Athene". He has been making a lot of videos like this recently, and I can see that he is really trying to say something useful.
Now, looking at the comments:
Dear Athene, I very much agree with what you are saying in most of your videos and thereby want to challenge you. The thing you are doing for African kids is truly amazing however i want to challenge you to amp it up. I challenge you for the next six months to play the forex (stock) market and make as much money as possible, vlog about your progression how you are doing what stocks you are buying etc. and then donate all of the money or if not all at least a major part to SaveTheChildren. This would surely prove more profitable to the kids than game streams and also this way show how you can take a corrupted system and use it for good and ultimately show us you are not intelectually fapping. SO ATHENE DO YOU ACCEPT MY CHALLENGE OR ARE YOU JUST GONNA SIT AND INTELECTUALLY FAP ??
Athene has been a gamer for ages and he is a streamer raising a lot of money every day for a charity. He (and a group of other people) recently raised around $10 million. Now this guy is suggesting that he quits his very effective way of raising money and instead invest time in something that he has zero knowledge about. Also, at the end he accuses him of "intellecually fapping" even though in the beginning he says "what you are doing for the African kids is truly amazing"
You can give intelligence to an idiot. Wisdom is more important.
What does that even mean? if you give an idiot "intelligence", then he isn't an idiot anymore and he will start wisenning up. And why does this get so many upvotes?
Athene was trying to explain that some people who are "smarter than most" a lot of times waste their potential on winning intellectual debates and get attention by showing how smart they are in conversations instead of actually taking action in real life and realising that they are tricking themselves and just satisfying their intellectual needs in a non-useful way ("intellectual fapping as he calls it").
Instead, people just attack him:
Hey smart asses, you two aren't the brightest either. This video just sets it in concrete.
Wait, did he just say I'm not smart because I don't help the fucking kids in Africa? Did I really hear that?
Sorry for the long example. Now, my question is:
- Why does this happen on Youtube, could it be that most users are below the age of 18?
- Why doesn't this happen on Reddit? (I'm not saying Reddit is full of geniuses, but it is way better than Youtube)
- Is this actually reflecting the average population in the "real world"? i.e. "people are just dumb, anyway"?
So far, this is what I've personally gathered from the replies; it's a mixture of reason as usual, sorted in order of likelihood (again personal opinion):
- The textual discussion-oriented nature of Reddit compared to YouTube, a videos (visual) website: (virnovus) (IndoctrinatedCow)
- YouTube users are way more likely to be seeking "mindless" type of entertainment, such as funny videos or gameplay footage.
- This makes Reddit users a little bit more seeking of intellectual stimulation.
- direct quote from Jest2 "YT requires less effort of the user than Reddit, which increases the likelihood of low-effort commentary."
- Reddit has moderators (AOBCD-8663). Even if they rarely intervene, they generally create some sort of guidelines and expectations that people overtime will subconsciously/automatically follow when commenting.
- Overall, Reddit users are more likely to be around college age. YouTube is way more widespread, which means the demographics are more balanced, so the percentage of school-age users (teenagers and younger) is higher in comparison to Reddit.
- The way Reddit is sub-sectioned can have an effect: (Ampatent)
- The type of people who complain about YouTube comments are more likely to be subscribed to subreddits where you are less likely to see that type of comments i.e. selection bias.
- This is a weak point because you can replace subreddits with channels for YouTube.
- Maybe some people actually care about the total amount of karma points they have. (Ampatent)
- I personally doubt this. I think that people only care about how many upvotes they will get for each individual comment and not for the overall karma they have gathered (when was the last time you checked how much karma you have?)
I have just noticed something that can be really significant. YouTube comments voting is really strange. I was watching this video about the UK royal family.
The top two comments are typical YouTube moronic comments like "put them next to a wall and shoot them". They have 19 and 14 upvotes. Now, both comments have a top rated counter reply with 55 and 54 upvotes. That means the people disagreeing are way more than the people agreeing, which means these two comments should have a negative vote count not positive.
Another thing I noticed is that when I click "like" the vote count goes up, but "dislike" doesn't make it go down.
It seems to me as if YouTube uses the "dislike" feature for comments in a way different than Reddit, it could be that it doesn't affect the vote, but rather if a comment gets too many dislikes then it will be automatically removed with the notice "this comment is hidden due to having a very low score" or something like that, I can't remember the exact quote.
Trading quotes (and inspirational quotes in general) are a funny thing…. In small doses, they can serve as fuel to propel us forward, especially when we are feeling discouraged. But when you get them all the time (ahem, like on some Instagram accounts) they can seem cliché. Funny / Scary forex Quotes ..on market closed. Trading Discussion 10 Classic Quotes All Forex Traders Should Know About. By Dr. Pipslow. April 27, 2016 6:15 PM UTC in Psychology. Partner Center Find a Broker. Having a profitable strategy is only a part of what makes forex trades profitable. The other part? Execution. If you find that you’re having trouble with your trading mindset today, then this list is Well how about some funny birthday quotes for husband that will give both of you a moment to laugh and rejoice. One thing is for sure that if your husband reads these quotes on his big day then he is bound to appreciate your sense of humor so rejoice the moment. Trader since 2007. Currently work for several prop trading companies.
FUNNY QUOTES BEST COLLECTIONS. - Duration: 3:42. Trading Quotes 190 views. 3:42. Best FX Trading Strategies (THE Top Strategy for Forex Trading) - Duration: 32:00. 🔴 How To Read A Stock Quote Stock Market For Beginners🔴 - Duration: 4:38. The Monk Way - Stock Market Videos 13,115 views #forextradingmemes #funnyvideo2020 #trynottolaugh2020. 😂😂😂FUNNIEST FOREX MEMES - forex traders have a laugh at things that happen in forex trading - Duration: 12:22. Forex Trading ... Android app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mkr.tooco #tooco Husbands With A Good Sense Of Humor Other videos: The Truth Behind Photos On S... DONT GIVE UP - SEE Forex accounts getting blown - forex brokers taking money from forex traders - forex fails. FOREX ACCOUNTS BLOWN - FOREX BROKERS MAKING MONEY FROM FOREX TRADERS ----- WATCH PART ...